Flat view
gobias
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
BREAKING NEWS: D90 images are SOFT when not in focus!!!1
Oct 14, 2008

Ok, credit for this goes to Gigi Marga and his/her thread here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&thread=29692332

Unfortunately mr. mrs. ms. Gigi's thread was titled far too sensibly for the majority of the ADD monkeys in this forum to give it a second glance. Luckily I clicked it on accident (mis-clicked in my excitement to click the "D90 SUXXORS zOMG!!!" thread above it and start flinging poo from my keyboard) and am trying to breath some new life into it with some exclamation points in the title and the dpreview-version-of-crack-cocaine: crops.

Most here have witnessed all the hubbub about the D90's soft output, particularly compared to the D300, since we all thought the D90 was a D300 in lightweight spandex. Mr. mrs. ms. Gigi however came up with the absurd notion that images, ladies and gentlemen, get softer when they're out of focus. A radical concept, I know, but I think this nutjob may be on to something. Behold my stunning evidence to back up this theory:

Look at the crack!! The D300 is SOFT!!!!! Or, you know, just a little out of focus.

These are taken from the lower right corner of the RAW conversions. The crack clearly shows more detail in the D90 image.. It's also clear when looking at the entire image that the crack in the wall is in a plane well behind the objects that the review chooses to crop for the comparisons. Conclusion: D90 is back focused! I believe both cams use a 50mm 1.8 at either f/8 or f/9 so it seems lens differences wouldn't account for what's seen here.

Anyways, discuss.

Oh, also I have a D90 and it seems perfectly sharp to me. Haven't really noticed a difference from my D80 on a pixel per pixel basis.

ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow