Started Oct 14, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dadgummit
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Please help a new 50D owner
Oct 14, 2008

I picked up my new 50d with the 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 lens last Friday and I am having problems.

Maybe 1 out of 10 pictures are in focus. I have tried shooting in full auto mode, portrait mode, CA mode, P mode etc. Beyond the normal AF, I have tried telling the camera to only use the center focus point and I have tried facial recognition in live view.

Please excuse my inexperience! I cannot tell if it is the camera, the lens (bad copy or too small aperture), the settings or my skill that is the problem. Most of the pictures were indoors and some were outtside in the shade. None were in full sun or other bright lighting.

In the Canon lens forum, people have almost unanimously recommended that I try a fast prime lens like the 28mm f 1.8 or the Sigma 30mm f 1.4. I understand that it will gather more light but will it focus more accurately with less light than the 28-135?

I am stepping up from a Sony H5 which was much better in the focusing department but a little worse in low light performance compared to the 50d using the 28-135 lens in the same lighting.

If they will help I can post some examples.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DoFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow