DMC-LX3 has the most amazing sensor I've ever seen!

Started Oct 14, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ljmac
Senior MemberPosts: 2,915
Like?
DMC-LX3 has the most amazing sensor I've ever seen!
Oct 14, 2008

I never thought I'd ever see a compact with decent IQ ever again, as the pixel density is such that they all have very obvious and (to me) totally unacceptable NR smearing even at base ISO. But not the DMC-LX3 - check out the samples gallery at DC Resource:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_lx3-review/gallery.shtml

There's some noise in the shadows as well as some NR going on, but it's not too objectionable at all - a lot of detail is retained, and the images don't look too "plastic".

In short, this sensor has by far the best IQ relative to pixel density I've ever seen - from the current manufacturer of 4/3rds sensors! What would this sensor give us at 4/3rds? 50MP or so? What sort of quality would it give us with "only" 20MP or so on 4/3rds?

I know they use CMOS because of live view, but I believe that's simply a power issue - surely that could be overcome in a 4/3rds camera? A sensor of this quality could allow us to go toe to toe with the likes of the EOS 5D Mk II at low ISOs, at the same resolution!

I don't see anything from Kodak with anything like this sort of IQ at such a high pixel density (or even at moderate pixel densities for that matter). Even Canon can't match it.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow