ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,204Gear list
Like?
Okay - just picked up the P6000...
Oct 13, 2008

Hi folks:

Well, I picked up both the D90 and P6000 today at a good price (got the P6000 for $409 from a local shop who I have been doing business with for 12 years).

I'll have some P6000 images for you over the next few days - with all images shot in RAW. Now that Photoshop and ACR 4.6 actually converts these raw files, it should be interesting to see how well the IQ holds up. I tend to shoot in RAW only (or prefer to do so), so seeing how the IQ holds up with this 13.5 MP camera, should be interesting. If I find merit in the images, the camera stays...but if it represents a gradual decline in IQ from previous P series cameras, then it goes back! I am starting to see some really nice samples though, being presented by various new owners (well, those that know what they are doing).

On first observation:

1. The camera feels and appears heavier and more substantially constructed than the previous P5000/P5100.

2. The mode dial is now one solid chunk of metal - feeling as if it was attached to a professional camera.

3. The camera is a bit wider than the previous P5000/P5100.

4. RAW files seem to save in only 3 - 4 seconds - definitely an improvement over previous Coolpix cameras that captured RAW.

5. What is different - and I don't necessarily care for it - is that the P6000 no longer comes with a battery charger. Although it uses the same battery as found in the P5000/P5100, you are now given an AC adapter cord, which plugs into the camera and it charges your battery for you while in the camera. I'm glad I kept my previous P system cameras so I have those chargers available to me.

6. The camera strap appears somewhat better than the previous straps that came with the P5000 and P5100.

Again, this is all mundane info - nothing earth-breaking, but in handling the camera, I find the camera more attractive than previous P series cams. Of course, the proof will be in the IQ. Will definitely be curious to check this end of things out.

So stay tuned here over the next few days. The images won't be earth-shattering compositions, but rather different views to determine IQ, color tonality, and overall handling.

Later...

-- hide signature --

As always - good shooting....

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +28 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow