Started Oct 12, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nuzzart
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
My Sigma 24-135 lens failed
Oct 12, 2008

My Sigma 24-135mm 2.8-4.5 failed. It can no longer focus below about 15 ft. It's not a sharpness problem. Mechanically it will not turn below that distance. Sharpness is fine down to that distance.

Now this lens has been my primary lens for th past 2 1/2 years and I loved and it filled my needs perfectly.. So my question is:

• Should I send it in to be repaired? I only paid $119 when I purchased it and I am afraid I might never come back the same. I've read too may horror stories about lens coming back from repair. Where to send it?

• Buy another one? I believe it's been discontinued but I have seen it still new for around $239.

• Buy a Tamron 24-135 3.5-5.6 instead. I'd lose 2/3 of a stop both in focusing and exposure.

The 24-135 mm range filled about 99% of my need. Up until now I've been really happy with this lens. This is the first lens I've had fail and some of my lens are30 years or more old. This lens probably had over 10000 images on lt. I've looked and at least rigth now I see the Tamron or the Sigma the only lens that cover that range and are reasonably fast.

I'd be interested in your thoughts,

(Konica-Minolta 5D)

Thanks,

Art

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow