ERROR99 Error Is Hardware Not Software. CONFIRMED!

Started Oct 9, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cliffee
Regular MemberPosts: 321
Like?
ERROR99 Error Is Hardware Not Software. CONFIRMED!
Oct 9, 2008

I spoke to a Canon service rep today in Irvine, CA and was told the ER99 error is due to an insufficient amount of Gold in the lens contacts on the body. Canon recently switched to another vendor for that part and due to the rising costs of gold and they cut back and substituted more tin instead. Because of this data is being corrupted in the path. They are scrambling to come up with a replacement for it and he assured me there would be a firmware update. That was the good news. Here's the bad news. Camera's that the Firmware identifies as having the older contacts will have the focus data chain slowed down slightly to compensate for the lack of signal purity. When the firmware identifies the newer contact set it will skip over the reduction in data flow to auto focus and continue with whatever updates are included in the firmware. I'm guessing the firmware has a way of identifying certain hardware before updating. I asked if it would be a noticeable decrease in speed and he said not likely.

I was only able to get this out of him after telling him I hadn't purchased a body yet and I have seen multiple complaints on this problem. I work at Western Digital next door to the service center and I'm pretty friendly with some of the techs in there.

If you haven't ordered yet I would hold off. I personally don't want a body that gets crippled by firmware!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow