Does it make sense to upgrade to 5D Mk 1?

Started Oct 8, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bvphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 247
Like?
Does it make sense to upgrade to 5D Mk 1?
Oct 8, 2008

With the release of Mk II, one can expect Mk1 prices to fall quite a bit more than they are at this time. Particularly on the used market, they may be available for as low as $1200 or $1000 in a few months.

I like my XT for wildlife (just for its greater reach). I know the 50D would be better, but I can't justify upgrading to that and buying a 5D. However, I really would like a camera with much better low noise characteristics, which is the only real reason I'm tempted to move to FF. I shoot Av mode almost always, and I'm periodically frustrated that my shutter speed is just not what I'd like it to be. And consequently I miss a lot of opportunities.

As a hobbist and somewhat-serious enthusiast, would it make sense to upgrade to Mk1 or should I consider skipping it and move to Mk II (assuming reviews are positive once it is released)? With 21MP, would I come out ahead even shooting wildlife with it and cropping down to negate the loss of reach I would otherwise have with a crop camera?

-- hide signature --

http://bvphotos.smugmug.com

Rebel XT, Canon 100 f2, Canon 100-400 IS, Canon 50 f1.4, Sigma 18-200 OS, kit lens

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow