What's up with the 50d and DPP Noise Reduction?

Started Oct 7, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
s3
s3
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
What's up with the 50d and DPP Noise Reduction?
Oct 7, 2008

Forgive me if someone already noticed this, but I didn't see any similar posts. After a weekend of shooting raw files with a new 50d, I opened the files in DPP. Despite the fact the in-camera Noise Reduction was disabled, DPP is setting noise reduction levels that will be reflected in file conversions to jpg's. The amount of noise reduction seems to be related to the ISO speed used, for instance at ISO 100 values of '1' for luminance and '1' for chrominance were selected; at ISO 200 the sliders are at '1' and '2'; ISO 400 '1" and '3'; ISO 1250 '2' and "3', respectively. I don't have values for other ISO's as this was all I had shot, and I wasn't doing a test - just discovered this by accident.

I double-checked my camera; noise reduction was disabled (and this is verified in the exif info).

The noise reduction sliders can be reset to '0' before you process the image, but if you didn't happen to notice the program was taking the liberty of doing this...

Has this been explained or detailed elsewhere? Is it a Program bug? Or is Canon trying to make things look less noisy than they really are?

-- hide signature --

s3

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow