Nikon 50mm lens question

Started Jan 24, 2008 | Discussions thread
klappa
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Re: Nikon 50mm lens question
In reply to aprxh, Oct 6, 2008

What do you want 50/1.4/1.8 for ? For general use as a low-light lens you'd better be off with Nikon 35/2 or Sigma 30/1.4 since the 50mm is a bit long. For serious portraits 85/1.8 might be better sometimes.

Anyway, I'd try to get f/1.4 version (get widest aperture if possible and not too pricey like 85/1.4 for example) - first because I don't like bokeh of my 50/1.8 and then I shoot most of the photos with my Sigma 30/1.4 within f/1.4-f/2.

On he other hand, if you want more primes later, get the 50/1.8 since it's cheapest and you'll save money for 30/35/85 etc. and might end up like me not using 50/1.8 at all. It's just backup now - which is ok for $100 lens.

And forget the absolute sharpness, lab tests and pixelpeeping - when shoting with f/1.4-f/2.8, most of the frame will not be sharp because of the depth of field (which is a good thing), so absolute sharpness of the 10% or less in focus is not that relevant.

Klappa
----------
http://petrklapper.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow