Started Oct 6, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrei
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?
G10: field experience
Oct 6, 2008

I bought this camera to replace my Fuji F30. My strong belief is that today basically all modern P&S cameras have approximately the same IQ, assuming that most of the pictures will be shared through the web, and some of them will be printed no more than 5x7. Maybe a few 8x10.

So i did not bother a lot comparing pixels, pixel density, low light performance an so on. I just wanted a camera, which looks like a camera (rather than iPod), which neither too big (like DSLR) nor too small (like majority of P&S). With enough weight to absorb minor handshaking; which has IS, useful zoom (28mm wide at least), 2.8 (on wide end), not overloaded with custom functions and menu levels, and has analog control. This camera is supposed to be with me all the time without drawing too much attention but ready for action, and that should be a camera I like to hold in my hands (not in my fingertips).

Looks like G10 gave me what I wanted: all purpose camera for mundane stuff, snapshots. I don't even want to pretend that I'm an artist or Big Photographer. Because I am not.

Would I take a rodeo pictures with G10? No. I have DSLR. It is faster in focusing.

Would I take a picture of a nice landscape for 16x20 enlargement ? No. I have Medium Format Film for this (No explanation, I don't want to start another flame Digital-vs-Film).

Would I take a picture I want to keep as a memory without caring too much if it's noisy or has JPEG artifacts or .... (like my kids growing, my cat playing fool and so on) ? Absolutely.

G10 just exceeded my expectations: easy to hold, easy to use, very good output.

Here's my first day with this camera:
http://picasaweb.google.com/black.kuzya/Set16_G10?authkey=XUbQS8QFEQA#

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow