Surfing Photogrpahy

Started Oct 3, 2008 | Discussions thread
JoeyCinSC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,564Gear list
Like?
Re: Surfing Photogrpahy
In reply to ashes_mtb, Oct 4, 2008

I spent about two months in Hawaii back in the Spring and did some surf photography. My best results came while I was in the water (believe it or not). Most of the best ones were with the 50-200 AND EC-14. That gave me an effective reach of 560mm - still not enough IMO. That is why I jumped in. I was using the E-510 at the time, so I needed to be a little careful about the salt water, but I wasn't going to worry about a few splashes. I was about waste deep.

So, the 40-150 is probably on the short side for close action shots, but you could always try different perspectives with multiple surfers. I'd also drop the ISO 200 and get a shutter speed closer to 1/1000. You don't really need 1/4000 (and some of higher speeds you had). Keeping the aperture around F8-F11 will allow a greater depth of field. You'll get better detail with ISO 200 than 400. Occasionally, you will have to bump the ISO to keep the shutter around 1/1000, but that is OK.

With some PP, creative crops, and leveling of the horizon, you can make your current shots pop.

Good luck and here is an example of a collage I made. It looks outstanding printed to 16x20 (could easily go larger).

-- hide signature --

Joe - Philadelphia, Pa
http://joecorvaia.zenfolio.com/

JoeyCinSC's gear list:JoeyCinSC's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow