DPP 3.5! Something not working quite right!

Started Oct 3, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SmokinMan
Contributing MemberPosts: 855
Like?
DPP 3.5! Something not working quite right!
Oct 3, 2008

I am evaluating the 50D results quite extensive lately. Have not make the decision yet. So today I got a chance to play with the new version of DPP v3.5 with a bunch of 50D files.

When trying out the NR setting I found out that something wierd about the luminance setting. From 0 to 2 I notice very little luminance smoothing to the image. However when step over to 3 out of 20, there the smoothing difference to 2 is quite big and as you increase the luminance setting more the rate the smoothing kind of accelerating more and more. At 5 it is very soft already. At 10 it is totally soft and past 10 it acts like a soft lens. Basically when I try the highest 50D ISO 12800(probably just like the max ISO 25600 of the 5DII) files applying luminance of 8 already soften out the luminance noise. So what is the point of giving it a scale of 1 to 20 when past 10 it already act like a soft lens. I tried DPP 3.41 and the max setting of 10 is like setting of 10/20 from the dpp 3.5.

Further playing with my 30D RAW and set the DPP to apply camera setting by default I found out that the camera(my 30D) actually decide the luminance setting. Some of my ISO 160(yes 160 not 1600) underexpose shots with visible shadow noise the default luminance setting is 2(What the hell is this). Luckily I have shot RAW + JPEG for that shot and the out of camera JPEG is indeed softer. Other properly expose ISO 160 and even ISO 320 the luminance setting is at '0'. So this mean my 30D actually analyze the image and apply some luminance smoothing to the images as need. I dont think this is what I want. I have get rid of my 30D but if the new 50D act like this that mean there is a chance that underexpose low ISO shots could get some smoothing too. Not a good sign I think.

If you have DPP 3.5 install you can try varying the luminance setting to observe this to see if I am correct.

-- hide signature --

SmokinMan

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow