Started Sep 29, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LeungPhotos
Forum ProPosts: 11,757Gear list
Like?
:: Challenge Judging -- Something Different ::
Sep 29, 2008

I have wanted to say this for a while and I have put it on the backburner until now. Miguel's post about judging photographs just reminded me of this....

Alright guys... we are on the 30th challenge right now... To me this is quite a milestone to have so many challenges with so many supporting. I think we have to thank everyone on behalf of everyone for making this such a success.

Here's a new idea... Personally, I think the host should definitely judge the challenge. But let's put a nice twist to this...... Please hear me out.....

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Host chooses the topic for the challenge. Let's say it goes for 7 days as tradition would have it. As soon as the challenge ends...

[1] Host judges (2 days) and lists top 5 photographs and indicates the reasons why he chose them. Why 2 days? Read on....

[2] During the 2 days following the challenge, everyone gets an opportunity to VOTE for a winner. Each user would be assigned 3 points. The voter is allowed to give any number of points to any of the photos. Of course, voter cannot vote for his/her own photograph.

For example:

photo submitter A: 1 pt
photo submitter B: 1 pt
photo submitter C: 1 pt

OR....

photo submitter A: 2 pt
photo submitter B: 1 pt

Do you think we need 3 days for this??

[3] The last time we discussed this, there was also the concern about people with various aliases voting for themselves. My suggestion:

RULE===> Voter is only qualified to vote if they had 200+ posts... If user does not have more than 200 posts, they are still eligible to submit photos to challenges.

[4] Host tallies all votes and the photo with the most POPULAR votes wins the challenge. Host lists the top 5 from the popular votes...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This voting system is happening in another forum and seems to be quite effective.

On one hand, we get to see how the host judges and why he chose the photographs he did. On the other hand, we see what the popular concensus is.... The host learns and so does everyone else.

We can all comment on why the popular photograph was popular when all is said and done.

I personally believe that this can be a very constructive exercise for everyone, for every challenge.

Please let me know your thoughts. I am confident that we can come to an agreement on this to make future challenges more interesting and even more challenging....

Looking forward to the replies!!

-- hide signature --

http://leungphotography.smugmug.com
::: $5 smugmug discount on my site :::

LeungPhotos's gear list:LeungPhotos's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow