Started Sep 26, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chuxter31
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
EF 100-400mm L and Canons date coding
Sep 26, 2008

I am looking to buy this lens in the very near future. I currently own the 5D and the longest lens I own is the 135mm L. I am an amateur/hobbyiest photographer. I thought about the 70-200mm f/4L IS but it isn't long enough for what I would want. I am 60 years old and do not want to drag around more than 2 lenses on any given trip. I thought with my 24-105mm and the 100-400mm I would have a lens package consisting of only 2 lenses with a span of 24- 400mm. I shoot people, landscapes and animals.

It doesn't appear Canon is going to upgrade or change this lens design any time in the near future. It was pointed out in another posting that this lens is still very popular and sells off the shelf. Therefore, I read, Canon has no need to upgrade or change it.

I also read somewhere that later models of this lens are inherently better than earlier models. I don't know why that would be unless Canon changed something in the lens formula, maybe a new coating process, or secretly tweeked the IS. My question is this. Does anyone know what was meant by later models and about when that would be? I don't want to purchase an early version given the cost of the later models is the same.

Thanks....

-- hide signature --

Charles Lipton
'I wish I was half the person my dog thought I was'.

Canon 5D, 24-105mm, 135mm f/2L, Minolta XD-11, 35mm f/2.8MD, 50mm f/1.4MD, Leica MiniLux, Epson P2000

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charleslipton/

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
FredNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow