Started Sep 24, 2008 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
W.C. Green
Regular MemberPosts: 400
Why I went with OLY, why I stayed, and wondering if I should continue
Sep 24, 2008

I got my first OM-1 back in the late '70s when I was a kid. I always hated things that were considered the "IN" thing, or, if it was VERY popular... then I probably wanted something else. I always wanted to be unique, thinking mediocrity usually thrived in the masses. So, I begged Mom and Dad for an OLY.

When I decided to get back into photography through my art career, I stayed with OLY for those same reasons. Never had a large bag of lenses, and wasn't knowledgeable enough to know better, honestly. It took good shots for my painting purposes.

When I started doing professional photography for other actors... I got an OLY point and shoot. Mastered that thing, and got an E-10. Then an E-20, then the E-1, then the E-3. Never owned another camera. Could not care less about size... its a non-issue to me. In fact, I honestly like weight. Like driving a light Yugo vs driving a heavy Mercedes sedan... you feel the quality in the heft in my book.

I waited, like many of you, for a LONG time for that E-3 to come out. I do feel I am producing much better images than those I did with my E-1 ( a camera I loved and wanted to keep). However, though I still primarily do headshots, and my E-3 with the 50/f2 does great for these... I want to start doing a great deal more fine art work... low dramatic light, and producing large, prints... 17" wide, etc.

I am at an upcoming crossroads this year. I have been dreaming of selling my current lenses, and getting the 11-22, 14-35, and the 35-100. However, I am a bit worried that after investing in these lenses this coming year, I will not see a CONSIDERABLY improved low light performance and considerably improved pixel count on the new E-xx... whenever it does come.

So... do I sink a bank into those lenses, and gamble that the body I need is going to come out soon? Or move to another system? I've never used another camera! I love that OLY makes a succinct and focused line of lenses. There isn't a MASS of junk items you have to sort through to get to the good glass like with Canikon. When I look at their lenses on BH... my head spins. Sony has a short lineup that is easy to follow... but mostly primes right now.

So any thoughts? I know many are with OLY for different reasons... weight etc. I went with them to be different, stayed with them to be different, and weight is not a factor in my decision. Should I stick with it, get the new glass this and next year, and have faith the new body will do what I need? I hate the thought of going to some other brand, but I need some good low light, quite few more pixels, and pretty soon... not years.

"Talent does what it can. Genius does what it must."

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow