Started Sep 24, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jindrich
Regular MemberPosts: 200
Like?
Canon: please replace your Management !
Sep 24, 2008

This is intended to be a serious comment from a Canon user. One with many lenses and currently in his 5th DSLR body (and counting). Some of my stuff came with serious issues, btw.

2008 Photokina in Koeln: Canon's 5DmkII with HD video wows the world. Great. But after some days, dust settles down. What's left?

As a 5D user, I am (like many many others) extremely dissapointed with the same old basic AF in the new 5Dmk2. HD video is great, but at 30fps it's useless in the PAL world, which is bigger than the NTSC market. On the other hand, just one updated lens and nothing about 1D series or huge price drops doesn't bring much confidence either.

Canon was the $5-10k videocam market leader a decade ago with his revolutionary XL models. Ever since, every other manufacturer, -Panasonic, JVC, Sony- has widely surpassed Canon in this field. Same might happen in the Photog world, as Canon has become a huge multicorporation more interested in benefits and segmenting the market than in providing what customers need.

In the SLR days, a single camera would suit all Pros. After lots of trouble, NIkon has understood that's the way to go with the D3/D700. Canon likes to segment markets as much as possible and offer small improvements in single steps. Except for MP, the D700 still kills the new D5mk2 in every single feature that matters to serious amateurs and pros photogs.

On the other hand, NO single Canon lens under 85mm is ready for 21MP as the 1Dsmk3 showed, one must turn to (the new) Nikons and Zeiss and therefore lose autofocus. 21mp for what? One step forward, two steps backward.

Regarding video in DSLRs, where Canon seems will find yet another reason to segregate markets even more, Nikon can simply release a D4/D800 with 24p and a good codec, and kill Canon in that field. Even retaning the same 12mp sensor, and even offering only 720p, which would even allow for variable frame rates from 1p to 60p for under-overcranking. Also, MF F mount makes lenses better suited for video use. And remember Nikon has no video division to defend.

More nonsense: a 1DmkIII PLUS a 5DmkII together still cost €1,000 less (!) than a 1DsmkIII at €8,000. That makes no sense. But the true fact is, the 135 format is better catered for PJ only. When one truly needs resolution, one jumps into MF, which brings an absolut HUGE quantum leap in every aspect (try it, believe me). Hasselblad, Sinar -and soon PhaseOne-, are offering a camera body, a 31MP back, a viewfinder and a 80mm lens for €12,000 already. Where does that leave Canon?

To me, all this above is nothing but a big mess. I'm invested in Canon stuff, but it's all about tools, just like a car. Nikon replaced his entire board recently and came out with great products.

Nikon, Hasselblad, Sinar, PhaseOne, and now even Sony, are currently caring for Photographers. Makes one think.

Comments will be appreciated.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow