Fuji EXR technology = HDR done in hardware!

Started Sep 23, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dylanbarnhart
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,268Gear list
Like?
Fuji EXR technology = HDR done in hardware!
Sep 23, 2008

Fuji's new "dual capture technology" looks very much like the HDR technique that we've been doing, which is to take multiple exposures of the same view and then combine them for higher dynamic range.

Except that this time no Photoshop or Photomatix is required. Neither does tripod. It's done inside the camera!

We've been screaming for higher dynamic range over megapixels right? Fuji is on the right track.

I like the fact that it doesn't waste valuable silicon surface for the smaller pixels, the way the Fuji S3 Pro has done. This means there's no adverse effect on noise at high ISO.

Very promising technology. I can only foresee some possible issues:

. Will slow down capture speed (fps), since it captures 2 images for each click, and merges them

. Tone mapping in HDR is quite an art, and not easy for the firmware to do it right. The result might be a flat and low contrast picture, like the Fuji S3 Pro, and requires the photographer to apply tonemapping (or local contrast enhancements) during post processing. I'm ok with that.

Does this illustration of the EXR technology look like HDR technique to you?

Comments and corrections to my understanding are welcome.

dylanbarnhart's gear list:dylanbarnhart's gear list
Canon PowerShot G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +8 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow