Started Sep 20, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
alexzn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,594
Like?
5DII a whiner's manifesto ;-)
Sep 20, 2008

Many people here expressed excitement about 5DII, but just as many expressed disappointment and were immediately called whiners, or people who just don't get it. I admit, I also don't get it- I am thoroughly unimpressed with the 5DMkII release. here is why:

Just like many people on this forum, my photography spans a gamut of things- I shoot low light, portraits, travel and occasional sports. While I occasionally earn money with my shots, I don't make enough to justify investing in a 1Ds body, so I would like to have a semi-pro range camera that would be a jack of all trades- have enough resolution, enough low-light sensitivity, and fast enough AF system that can track a moving skier. Why Canon is stubbornly refusing to come out with such camera is still beyond me. I would gladly pay $3K for that kind of body, and I am sure many of you will as well. Incidentally, I am describing the much-dreamed-of "3D" camera, which in my opinion will never be maid because it just may cut into the 1D sales too much. (Of course specs of 3D read just like the specs of D700, but I digress here). I was waiting or the 3D when 5D came out, I was waiting for it two years ago, and I got tired of waiting and bought a used 5D which has been fantastic. But that does not mean that I will go out and upgrade to 5DII, because that camera does not address my needs any better than 5D does.

I also don't understand all that excitement about 21 Mpix- yes, this is rivaling medium format, so the studio and wedding types are probably very happy. However I doubt that I need 21Mpix, I don't print billboards and the huge images will fill up my hard drive twice as fast and will slow down Lightroom some more. So 12 or 16 Mpix would have been just fine. But the lack of fast AF and lack of built-in wireless flash commander does limit me. (Sure I can prefocus and anticipate just fine, and I can tether one of my two flashes to the camera with a cord, but why should I?)

Bottom line- 5DII is essentially a medium format camera- somewhat slow, but with plenty of IQ. The problem is that I don't need a MF camera, I want a very good 35mm body, and that body is still not there. So...I want my 3D. Since it is not coming I will keep shooting my 5D and occasionally whine. Just don't tell me that I don't get it

P.S. I am also unimpressed with the whole Canon release (the 5D, G10, and the compacts)- there is not a single innovative camera there, just rehashing of the same old tried, true, and tired formula. The L lens maybe great, I have not looked carefully enough, and canon does L lenses really really well, so that's one bright light there. I ama slo intrigued by the Zeiss 50mm. It maybe just affordable enough to make the ultimate IQ attractive.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow