Started Sep 16, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Adrian Veidt
Regular MemberPosts: 326
Like?
The Lowering Quality of Photography
Sep 16, 2008

The Lowering Quality of Photography in the 21st Century.

If you've been here for any length of time, then you know that year after year the forums get more and more full of people trying to have their say and show their stuff. It's getting to the point where if you don't show up every single day to read your posts, then they've been relegated to the past, and the public here would rather that you didn't bump them back into existence because they are having their say now...

I remember coming here in 2001 and joining the Olympus forum and it was like family. We called eachother by first name. We emailed eachother because we cared for one another. I mean, people were praying for eachother's kids and families when we learned that there were problems there. It was a close family atmosphere.

Then Olympus released cheap dSLR after cheap dSLR and the more often they did this, the more bozos arrived. I mean, these people were idiots talking about all kinds of nonsense and not getting along and not meshing with the old school group that had been so interesting and good and kind. They claimed to be experts and often gave inproper advice. They claimed to be good photographers and their pictures showed the most basic kind of point-n-shoot photography you could imagine.

Nikon & Canon suffered as well. Mostly from the brand wars. There were people who owned one type of equipment and anytime a new item was released for the other brand, they would go and heckle the crowd in the other forum!!!

Oh, yeah, all this stuff happened. It's all documented. But back in the day, DPReview was like a haven for good photographers who were well behaved people that actually liked and respected each other.

There were also the non-searchers who always annoyed people & asked the same questions that had been asked umteen times. But back then a question like, "What do you think about the D300 vs the 5D?" might have been answered like this...

"Well I think the 5D and D300 are relatively close and that either would be a good choice. If you want a little less noise and a little more resolution, then go with the 5D, but undestand that you'll be giving up that crop factor, so if telephoto is your thing you'd be best suited for the D300."

Today, you just won't get a kind and informative answer like that. In fact, you'd be lucky not to get ridiculed for the mere questioning of such a matter.

- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - -

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
bullNew
EasyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow