ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robert Holloway
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,626Gear list
Like?
Why on earth buy a new 5D?
Sep 14, 2008

Hi everyone,

I am a keen amateur and have a 30D and have been considering the FF route for ages but kept waiting for the replacement.

When I see many of the 5D posts I wonder why I would buy the replacement?

Here's my thinking and I'm glad to be proved wrong.

Me, the user - I believe that I am not a "master" of my existing camera and that a new camera will not make me a better photographer.

Megapixels - I am at 8 and 12 will great. I just can't imagine NEEDING 20+

Pricing - The new 5D is likely to be in excess of $2500 and probably closer to $3000. The old 5D will drop below $2000 and still be a great camera. If I buy the new one at $3k I need to sell my 30D to finance it. With the classic 5D I could have 2 bodies.

New features - I'm seduced by 720P video but know that I won't really use it. I don't give a hoot about live view. I already have 5 fps on my existing camera for sports but wish I had full frame for everything else. A totally new AF system might swing it, but even then I have no issues with the 30D focussing. The quality of the classic 5D is phenomenal for an amateur. I dunno. What more is there that they can do?

Improving - maybe I should invest in some lessons versus endless hardware. If you look at my profile you'll see that I'm lensed out

Am I mad?

Rob

-- hide signature --

'Nothing beats fast glass'

Robert Holloway's gear list:Robert Holloway's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow