Started Sep 9, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
me2000
Senior MemberPosts: 1,621
Like?
Canon really struggling to keep up...
Sep 9, 2008

Its great to see the 50D, but I've got an overwhelming feeling that Canon is really struggling to keep up.

The new 1DS had focus issues. The 5D is way, way overdue for an upgrade. The 40D is looking dated compared to the D300 and D700. Luckily Canon has announced the 50D, but does it have enough features to keep up with the rest of the pack ?

The D90 adds video. I'm not going to jump out and buy a D90 and I don't really need video right now, but I have to admit its an interesting feature, especially if it would autofocus and such.

Then there is the Sony Alpha 900. I know its a $3000 FF camera, but its got some really neat features. A full frame sensor with stabilization built into the sensor, not the lens. Keep in mind that on large lenses, it can cost several hundred dollars to get the IS version.

I really like the smart review mode feature on the Alpha 900, where one can change the WB, exposure, etc. and see what you COULD get right in the camera.

I really like that the Alpha 900 lets the user change camera settings even when the camera is in Auto mode.

And then there is Canon's lack of some really simple features. Like a built in wireless flash controller. Like a multiple exposure function. Like a multiple shot timer. These are all pretty simple mostly software features and yet Canon doesn't implement them.

My impression is that Canon is struggling to keep up. Canon had an early lead in the market with the early Rebel, 5D and 20D models, but that is largely been lost. Canon has been resting in its laurels. Its time they pick up the pace.

The big question for me is do I buy a 50D or do I wait for the model that really catches up with the competition, probably the 60D.

-- hide signature --

40D, 28-135, 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 430EX
Broken G9, soon to be fixed.
Ufraw and Gimp power user.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow