ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,069Gear list
Like?
Has digital WB ruined "warm light"?
Sep 8, 2008

Hi all,

Today I picked up one of my older books on location lighting and was thumbing through it. All the pics were taken in the film days of the early 90s by a very accomplished photographer(s) and they are great pics. Many of the shots had a very warm red or yellow toned cast to them . I found the pics very appealing but it had me thinking...if I had posted this picture on DPR for C&C I know the first comment I would get is "the WB is waaayyy off!". 90% of the people commenting would tell me to fix the white balance before ever considering if the color cast enhanced the mood or feel.

Now that color correction is so easy with software has the appeal of warm or cool images become obsolete? It seems many only want totally natural skin tones no matter what the scenario. Not to sound like I'm preaching how the good old days are gone, but has the digital age lost something in this regard? Pictures that once had a magic "golden glow" now are just viewed as having poor white balance. Just wondering....

Gipper
--
Check out my gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/root
Gear listed in profile.

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow