Started Sep 1, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
All the best user names were taken
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
A900 3rd September in Shanghai + some playing around
Sep 1, 2008

according to retailers of Sony DSLRs in Suzhou China (which is the city next to Shanghai), the Sony Gallery shop in Shanghai should be stocking the A900 from the 3rd.

I don't know how good their information is but they told me it would be this week and when I asked the exact date one woman wrote down 09/03. Oh well we'll soon know if she was lying.

The owner of one retail outlet confirmed to me that they would soon be getting the 70-400G lens but he would not tell me any more than that.

Well fingers crossed they will have the new range in stock soon.

I am not interested in buying the A900 but I would love to get my hands on the 70-400G and the 16-35mm f2.8 Z.

I went to these shops to assist my friend in his purchase of an A350.

This was the first time I had spent that much time playing with the A350 and my impressions were mixed.

I liked how it felt in the hand. I found the A200 to be too small and the same with the A300. I couldn't get over the feeling of my little finger not fitting on the grip.
The extra thickness of the A350 made up for this.

What I could not get used to after using the A700 was the lack of a second selection wheel on the rear of the camera.

The live view seemed very useful when coupled with the adjustable screen. I could really use this for low angle shots as it would prevent me laying on the floor to set up the shot. Apart from this situation though I don't think I would use it much in it's current state of development.

While I was in the shop though I had a chance to play with some great lenses.

I tried the 85/f1.4 Zeiss. This is a nice weight and focal length on the APSC format. This lens is really sharp and the Bokeh is among the best I have ever seen. It seemed creamy and flawless when reviewing on the A700 LCD.

I also tried the 100/f2.8 Macro and found this lens a real joy to use. This is definitely on my short list of lenses to buy.

If you have never used a Macro lens like this before you should try it out. It gave me a lot of ideas for trying shots that I had never considered before.

I tried the 500mm f8 but found that the shop was the wrong place to make the most of it.

I took a few shots down the street outside and the results were ok was not in a suitable place to gain any relevant opinion on this lens. It is very light though. An auto focus 500mm lens of this weight is definitely one to consider for my future travels.

The last lens I tried was the 70-300G. I was especially interested in this one because I would like to buy the 70-400 when it is released.

This was my first experience of SSM and WOW. It is silent. I hope the 70-400 isn't much bigger than the 300 because I found this lens to be a really nice balance with the A700. The build quality and the weight feel great in the hand. I really got the impression that this lens was a step up from anything I currently own. If I had this lens I don't think I would want to take it off my camera.

-- hide signature --

A700, Sony 18-250. Zeiss Circular Polariser, Zeiss MC Protector, Lexar 8GB 300xCF Card, Sony 4GB Pro HG Duo MS card, 2 batteries, Lowerpro Slingshot 200.
Looking to build a lightweight travel photography setup (amateur level).

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow