Started Aug 29, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Maverick_
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170
Like?
RANT: SONY's Misdirection in Sensor Design: A Suggestion
Aug 29, 2008

SONY makes the chips for most P&S cameras today, including Canon. I am really annoyed with Sony constantly shoving more mega pixels into these super tiny chips. It's very disturbing for a serious user like myself.

12MP is already overkill, 15MP is purely criminal. All Nikon's pro cameras are topping out at 12MP today. And for most printing needs, 12MP at 4000 pixels wide is totally sufficient. And here we're talking point and shoot, not pro stuff!!!

It's really just stupid to use the Mega Pixel race as a marketing strategy. There is no reason at all that a 15mp jammed packed into a tiny 1/1.7 or 1.8 or 2.5 can be more useful than a 4000 pixel wide 12MP. There is really no reason for this in consumer P&S cams. None!

I wish Sony would simply set the limit at 12MP and work instead on making these sensors better. Come up with brands to distinguish between 12MP sensor grades.

You know the credit card industry uses the same plastic, but they color them differently to distinguish class. Sony can do the same, you can have a 12MP I, or 12MP III, or 12 MP Super IV-Extreme. They can use their massive marketing and branding budgets to come up with really cool designations for these chips. So not all 12MP sensors appear the same.

The engineers at Sony: please STOP this madness, stop shoving, pushing more MP into tiny chips just to force the consumer to "upgrade" and buy new cams every year or two. Make the chips better instead and bringing them back by upping the quality. S

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow