ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
johnparas11zenfoliodotcom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,206Gear list
Like?
Purists Hate "GIMMICKS"
Aug 29, 2008

With the announcement of the Nikon D90's video capture feature--

some posters which I would lik eto call "purists", are all "fuming" that this is such a gimmick and that the camera is a toy for having such feature...and that it is amateurish etc..

I can only recall the times when such new innovations were panned for being gimmicks and now most DLSRs have them and mostly they are a must have... examples that I can recall are below:--I included what they said about it then..

-Autofocus-- only professionals use manual focus and manual focus is teh best for critical focusing

• built in motor drives--- it is only for amateur cameras.. those who use them don't know about "true" photography

-Live view- that is for point and shoot cameras, that's for amateurs

-too much info on the LCD viewfinder--it makes the viewfinder have tunnel vision- we want 100% view of the photograph we take

-- hide signature --

dust reduction-- gimmick, hype, not working

• built in flash for SLRS-- tha is only for amateur camera- if your camera has built in flash- it is a lower grade camera and you are an amateur and you are stupid etc etc...

The above are the only ones I can think of now... anyone has other innovation in mind that I have forgotten?

For me whatever new thing that is being introduced-- I take them for what they are..if it helps me enjoy photography more... why not have them?

http://johnparas11.zenfolio.com/p709119063/?photo=h2B965B69#731274089

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list:johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D90 Nikon D300S Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow