How did we ever get along without video?

Started Aug 28, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Canon DSLR
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
How did we ever get along without video?
Aug 28, 2008

LOL. OK, I'll admit the D90's video mode is a nice new feature. I had been hoping it would eventually make it's way to DSLR's. Frankly, I'm surprised it took so long. I'm sure the 60D will have it when it eventually comes out.

But, realistically, it's only something most of us would use here and there to capture the odd 'video moments' to complement our still photos. Despite this welcome move towards convergence, even a video-capable DSLR is no replacement for a dedicated HD camcorder. Sound quality is a limiting factor (the D90 is mono only, FYI), as is the storage capacity of compact flash vis-a-vis a comcorder's storage medium.

So, yes, it's a nice new feature to see in this class of camera, but some already seem like they can't live without it and have gone so far as to start dumping on the superb new 50D for not having it. Don't forget that NO other DSLR has it right now, from the top pro camera to the lowliest DSLR. Those cameras aren't all suddenly made obsolete by the D90. Neither is the 50D, which I would gladly upgrade to from my 20D if I had the cashola right now.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow