Started Aug 25, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,432Gear list
Like?
Best settings for E-520
Aug 25, 2008

Ive been gathering opinions and using the camera at various settings to figure out what's the best general settings to use in most situations. I know alot of E-520 users use a +1 sharpening setting. Would +2 be even better, or is that a bit too much? Most of the reviews Ive seen state that Oly in camera sharpening produces little or no artifacts-- but what about increased noise at higher isos or dynamic range issues?

My thought process on this was that a higher level of sharpening might bring back some of the sharpness lost at higher isos through the use of the noise filter. My two choices are to a) use a low noise filter coupled with 0 sharpening or b) keep the standard noise filter at a +2 sharpening. Which do you think would be better at iso 400-1600? Im thinking that b) might be worth a try and could-- theoretically-- give the best of both worlds-- that is, the lower noise levels of a standard noise filter and use of a higher level of sharpening to bring back some of the sharpness lost through the noise filter. Also, would a +2 sharpness setting in most situations make the sharpness of the E-520 the equal of the E-510? Setting the sharpness higher seems to have a significant upside, but I am worried about more noise at higher isos (but perhaps keeping the noise filter at standard while setting the sharpening high would alleviate that?) and limiting my DR by setting the sharpening to +2. Thoughts?

Also wanted to ask if its wise to leave the contrast at 0 for most conditions, as we dont want to limit the DR of the camera by changing the contrast and leave the saturation at 0 as well for most general shooting conditions?

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow