Started Aug 21, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
prime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,488
Like?
The S100fs CA/PF issue and polarizing filters
Aug 21, 2008

The main reason I am starting a new thread is that the numerous old ones have so many posts with so many sub-threads, they are getting difficult (for me, at least) to navigate. I apologize right here and now to those who find multiple topics more difficult to navigate that subthreads within an old topic that has 100+ messages.

A second, and almost as important reason for starting a new topic, however, is that I may have stumbled onto something, and I wonder if other S100fs users have stumbled onto the same thing. Read on.

The S100fs, though brand-new, is not mine; a friend has purchased it and had it sent to me to use for a family wedding on Maui a couple weeks hence, after which the camera gets sent on to its real owner. Before the wedding, I am experimenting with everyt control on the camera so that at the event itself, I can concentrate on taking pictures and not reading the user manual.

This past week, we were at Sunriver in the high desert of Central Oregon, where I shot a lot of photos in bright sunlight and broken cloud situations. Much of the time, I had a circular polarizer on the lens, though because I was concentrating on the electronic controls, I was not as intentional about adjusting the polarizer orientation for every shot as I have been in the past with cameras with which I am more familiar. However, in looking at the resulting images, some of them with "worst case" situations of tree branches silhouetted against the sky in the corner of the frame, etc., there is very little -- minimal, really -- purple fringing. Some purple fringing DOES exist, but at nowhere near the level that OldNick experienced as shown in his " that bad" thread.

[I am not sure whether any site at which I am registered allows files the size of original S100fs 11MPFine files to be uploaded. If anyone has suggestions where I should post example images, please chime in.]

So a working hypothesis that I shall test, and invite others to test, is that the CA component that causes the dreaded purple fringing in the S100fs is strongly polarized, and that therefore it can be minimized ab initio through use of a polarizing filter. At this stage, it is JUST a hypothesis, not verified (or falsified) in controlled testing. I should like to hear what others have observed.

Comments?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow