Started Aug 20, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
deuxcent
Senior MemberPosts: 1,319Gear list
Like?
Yellow Pages bye-bye
Aug 20, 2008

I'm definitely going to stop advertising in the Yellow Pages. I don't think I've gotten a quality client from them in three years. Instead, I get timewasters.

Last month, a call:

"Yes, hi, I'm vacationing in the area and my memory cards are almost full, can I buy or borrow one from you?"

Last Friday, another call, different guy:

"Hey, I'm passing through and found your ad in the Yellow Pages, and I figured maybe you could show me how I'm supposed to set the lens on my used film SLR. I just bought it at Goodwill and I don't have the manual."

I'm always nice to them, even invited the Goodwill guy to come over, said I'd do what I could to help. He had a B-brand camera with a 25-dollar F-brand lens. There was nothing on the lens TO set, no switches or anything beyond the locking aperture ring. I told him all seemed fine and gave him five minutes' worth of photography tips, and that was my good deed for the day. (He mentioned he wanted to break into magazine photography, probably already fancies himself the next Herb Ritts or Robert Capa.)

Anyway, my business comes from the Internet, Google searches, professional referrals, word of mouth, magazine advertising, and most of all, from the inns and fancy hotels where couples get married (a few of those places recommend me and send me a ton of wedding business). By comparison, my Yellow Pages ad has just been a pricey non-performer. I'm done with those guys. It's yesterday's medium.

deuxcent's gear list:deuxcent's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow