ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andras Fabian
Contributing MemberPosts: 706
Like?
R1 - Mountains: climbing the Hohe Geige 3393m
Aug 12, 2008

Hi STers,

Summer is in high gear, and so are my hiking tours to the Alps. Only 5 weeks after the Zugspitze - some might recall - I had a short but very intense excursion to the "Hohe Geige", the highes peak in the "Geigen Kamm" (crest) and located in the Pitztal valley (in Tirol, Austria).

This time I had my brother in law with me, who is always a great company, as with him it never gets boring. We arrived on a nice, sunny Saturday evening, ascended to a lodge (Rüsselsheimer Hütte). After a short night, we stood up early Sunday, started the day with many clouds, but during our ascent to the summit it cleared up and we had a beautiful summer day. Although, it was mere 5 degrees Celsius at the peak, the sun was so warm, that you never really had to freeze (even with lighter clothing).

Photographically it was also very interesting. Especially the sunset with many clouds around neighboring ridges to the West but enough holes to let some dramatic sunbeams trough. I also enjoyed - as always - the warm colors on the cliffs. The second day turned out interesting too. Although it started with many clouds (in the first 1-2 hours we were often in them) later the sun became dominant. But the mixture of a great landscape with many low, puffy clouds (with good lighting) created some impressive panoramas ... all in all, again it was worth every drop of sweat!
Of course, here is the link to my new set at Flickr (with 39 images):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/weathermaker/sets/72157606677773185/

(always think about clicking the zoom lens over the pictures to see the high resolution images)

And here is a "little" set of the best ones. I hope you like them, and please let me know what you think about them (if you have some ideas, questions, etc.):

Pitztal

Little Mountain Chapel

Rüsselsheimer Hütte

Kaunergrat in the evening 3

Capricorn BW

Clouds in the Pitztal

Weißmaurachkopf 1

Grabskogel surrounded by clouds

Westgrat (can you find my brother in law climbing ???)

Crosss on the sumit 3393m

Glacier Lake

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow