Revisited - 18-55IS vs. 17-55IS/2.8

Started Jul 22, 2008 | Discussions thread
Kitacanon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,491Gear list
Like?
Post processing works for
In reply to One DaveT, Aug 10, 2008

Ditto...the difference between a Canon/Nikkor and say a Promaster is a WOW!! I didn't appreciate it in the past because I started out with Nikkors back 40 years ago...I must say though cheap doesn't automatically mean low IQ...the new Canon kit lenses (18-55IS and 55-200mmIS) are even better than some of my old nikkors (the wide angles, that I sold in favor of the 18-55)...Promaster is another case though...

Why Promaster?...I picked up a 28-105mm Promaster at a pawnshop for $10 the other day but brought it back because it wouldn't AF to infinity all the time...and the IQ was really soft...

Well, they took it back, returned my $10...and gave me the lens...soooo, I took it and while it still doesn't always AF to inf., for free I can make it work...

And by "making it work" I mean shooting at apertures no wider than f:11, (forget 4, 5.6 and 8!) requiring a higher ISO than I'd rather shoot (800 vs 400, that would allow me to shoot f:8), and shooting RAW (which I do anyway) so I can adjust color and contrast in DPP, and then use USM (Unsharpen Mask) in Photoshop...with my Canon/Nikkors I'd rarely need more than 200/.2/0, but with the Promaster I'll need sharper settings, as much as 400/.4/0 and more...
For free I'll make it work...

Kitacanon's gear list:Kitacanon's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 450D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow