Started Aug 9, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zombieball
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?
If you could only have one lens...
Aug 9, 2008

Hello all, I am a beginner photographer who just purchased his first SLR (the Canon 450D). I am looking to purchase a good quality lens. However, as much as I would love to say pair a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS with a 70-200mm f/4 IS the budget just won't allow it.

I currently have the 18-55mm IS kit lens (which I could possibly try and sell), and a 50mm f/1.8 MK II (which I plan to use for low light portrait type shots).

So here it goes, if you could buy just one lens with a budget of ~$1000 and under, which would it be? Keep the kit lens and get the 70-200 f/4 IS? Sell the kit lens and buy a 24-105 f/4 IS? Let's hear your thoughts!

P.S. I suppose the shooting conditions I plan to be in mostly would help. I have an upcoming trip to Hawaii planned and would love to bring back memorable photos (everything from monuments, to landscapes, to flowers, to portraits). Although lighting is probably fantastic in Hawaii, I unfortunately live in a quite cloudy rainy climate. So at the same time I would also like to be able to capture sharp photos @ home without having to carry a tripod everywhere (I don't tend to photograph sports or anything that would really require subject stopping apertures).

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow