ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
flumpydog
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Err 01 on 40D with different Canon lenses
Aug 9, 2008

Hi Everyone

Had my 40D for 10 months now and it has performed flawlessly up until last month. I was taking some shots when the Err 01 Communication Error Clean Lens Contacts error appeared, I was using the 17-85 IS lens. I turned the camera off and then on again and it worked without any issues for a bit and the same message again appeared. I then took the lens off, cleaned the contacts on the body and lens (they looked perfectly OK to me) and put things back together and again, worked for a bit and then the error message. This happened on and off for 2 days and then just disappeared. Fast forward a month to today and the error occurred again this evening while shooting with my new 70-200 2.8 IS . This lense has been on the camera for 2 weeks now, shot over 1,000 photos and I have had no issues until tonight. Again I took the lens off the body and gave the contacts on the body and lens a close inspection and they look perfect.

I am now beginning to wonder that it might be something else like the body or maybe the last firmware update? I doubt that both these lenses could have a problem. Not sure if this is a possible cause, but this has only happened since the new firmware was installed. Maybe I am just grasping at straws here with this one . Just seems odd with this latest bout, that it would just happen out of the blue when this lens has been on the body for 2 weeks, taken all those pics without any issues.

And before anyone asks, I did not accidentally shift one of the buttons like AF midway or such.

On a side note, I must say that I just LOVE the 70-200 2.8 IS on this body. I am amazed at the shots I have been able to take hand held. I even just snapped a moon shot tonight hand held @ 1/160 and it showed all the crater details and the focus was great, I was not expecting that. Taking shots of the kids playing sports has also been great fun. I will be sure to post some online, it is great to play with. My wife was so envious of the 40D and pics it was taking, she was beginning to use my camera instead of her G9 (great little camera too), so I bought her an XSi so I could get my camera back LOL, she is super happy now. Now the big problem is who gets to use the big lens

Many thanks in advance,
Chuck

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow