Started Aug 7, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BoyOhBoy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,807
Like?
Is the D90 priced right?
Aug 7, 2008

All the angry discussion about the video capabilities on the D90 has obfuscated an important question. Can Nikon sell the D90 at $1000/pop when its closest competitor, the Canon XSi, is selling under $650 kitted with an 18-55 IS lens. Nikon seems to be wanting to sell the new models at the same intro price that the old models used to get. This is not how things work in the world of computers and electronics, and after all a dSLR is nothing more than a computer with a lens in front of it.

What are your thoughts? I know that some of you will say that the real competition for the XSi is the D60. While there is some merit to that, my impression and experience is that the D60 is targeted as the P&S-ers who suffer from "p*nis envy" when they see an SLR camera. I have seen several D40/D60's listed for sale with the comment "I got this to take pics of my grandkids so I don't miss the smiles, but it is too darn big to carry around all the time". In fact, I recently bought a D40 from a seller who had exactly that sentiment and was willing to let it go for $220, with a grand total of 800 clicks after 3 months of usage.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow