Is the Micro Four-Thirds an EVIL camera? Locked

Started Aug 5, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
chuxter
Forum ProPosts: 13,526
Is the Micro Four-Thirds an EVIL camera?
Aug 5, 2008

I'm excited. But since we don't have much info yet, I'm trying to keep my enthusiasm in check.

It's clear that even if this new Oly camera line is not a "real" EVIL camera, it none-the-less signals that the EVIL camera idea is not dead. Oly is, if nothing else, a bellweather.

But I'm also depressed...mostly with drp's reporting! They said:

1) "No mirror - so the cameras will not be SLRs "

This is not only silly (to so rigidly interpret what "reflex" means that they totally miss the boat), but also stupid, IMO. If a camera looks like a SLR, and works like a SLR, then it's an SLR, by gosh.

It's a non-mirror SLR...

It's also clear that Oly/Pana think these new cameras are SLRs...read the second paragraph in the Press Release:

"The global market for interchangeable lens type digital SLR cameras is growing steadily, but still only accounts for a 7 percent share of the total digital camera market. Considering the much larger share held by interchangeable lens type SLR camera systems when film was the dominant imaging medium, it seems that there is still ample room for sales growth in the category. But compact digital cameras continue to offer an expanding range of features and performance, and market surveys indicate that customers choose compact models because they find digital SLR cameras to be 'big, heavy, and difficult to operate.'"

They are clearly targeting this camera system at the SLR market.

2) "Contrast Detect AF is implied (passive would require an external sensor)"

Contrast AF and Phase AF are BOTH passive AF. DUH! An example of an active AF would be the long forgotten Polaroid system that emitted an ultrasonic pulse and measured the time to return.

These errors are so glaring (to me) that I wonder why we even TRY to help beginners understand digital imaging?

Another bullet point was:

3) "Lack of mirror well necessitate a high quality EVF (or non-viewfinder design)"

It won't require a "high quality EVF", but it NEEDS one. Reflecting on the issue of whether the Micro Four-thirds system is an SLR, I think Oly/Pana would be wrong to deliver even the first product w/o a stunning eVF! I trust Oly enough to expect that they understand this...

I hope dpr can get over their 20th century mind set re what an SLR is...

-- hide signature --

Charlie Davis
Nikon 5700, Sony R1, Nikon D300
HomePage: http://www.1derful.info
Bridge Blog: http://www.here-ugo.com/BridgeBlog/
'Experience: Discovering that a claw hammer will bend nails.
Epiphany: Discovering that a claw hammer is two tools...'

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow