ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bkj
bkj
Senior MemberPosts: 1,339
Like?
Re: Survey forecasts demand for weather-proof cams
Aug 5, 2008

I'm all for weather sealed DSLR bodies, weather sealed lenses, and weather sealed point-and-shoots. It's a shame that most manufactuers spend more effort into jamming pixels, rather than on adequately sealed bodies and lenses.

So far, Olympus is the only manfacturer that offers a DSLR system that can be used in pouring rain with absolute confidence.

I have contacted both Canon and Nikon tech support. Their respective reps told me that their sealed bodies and lenses should be able to withstand light rain. The Canon rep said that they would fix bodies and lenses under warranty if they find a defect with the seal. Otherwise, cameras and lenses damaged by moisture would not be fixed under warranty. The Nikon rep simply told me that it's at your own risk to use their sealed products in the rain.

I also wish to see more weather sealed lenses from the 3rd part lens manufacturers. I wouldn't mind paying more if they are sealed to Olympus's standard.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm S5 Pro, S3 Pro
Tokina AF 12-24/4.0
Tamron AF 28-75/2.8
Nikon AF 50/1.4D
Nikon AF 85/1.4D
Sigma AF 150/2.8 Macro

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
mmerNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow