Olympics bans "professional" cameras for civilians

Started Aug 4, 2008 | Discussions thread
tygrus
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Re: Big cameras at events
In reply to Bill Randall, Aug 5, 2008

I took my 'little' Canon S3IS to a concert which said nothing about restrictions of photography/recording. I sat in the first raised level of a 14'000 seat venue. I took a few photo's before the show but was told I had to put it away because it was to 'big'. I questioned the 'security' person and told the 8x40 binoculars were OK despite sticking out further than the camera. I turned off the flash, often used the EVF, not overt and was a bit careful when the 'security' person was looking around at a distance. Many people were holding up small cameras/phones with big bright screens, useless flash and general being more obnoxious than I. Stage lighting lit very little front on and but I still managed to get lot's of nice photos despite the conditions.

I took it to a sporting event with a circular polarizer filter. I can see where you need a bigger zoom and a SLR with a bigger/better sensor that isn't prone to overheating (possible noise effects)(CCD P&S on for long time trying to follow action and catch the 'moment' with 35C day and plenty of Sydney Sun).

Isn't about time Canon announces a replacement for the S5IS, but the Oly m4/3 looks interesting. They could have reduced the sensor (20%) and saved even more space/lens/weight. Just needs excellent processor and software to match.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow