Started Aug 4, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,206Gear list
Like?
Problem with 580 EXII
Aug 4, 2008

My 580 EXII seems to have a mind of its own. Last weekend I was doing a shoot outdoors in hot weather and using the flash for fill. About halfway through it began to behave erratically, often not firing. Thinking it might be overheating or that perhaps the batteries had had it, I replaced the batteries. The ones I pulled out of the camera were really hot, could hardly hold them. With fresh batteries, the camera continued to malfunction. It would revert to TTL mode. I would turn off the flash. On turning it on, it would fire in ETTL mode the revert to TTL mode. In TTL mode, while the flash fired, it was ineffective.

I let the thing sit for several days. It seemed to be OK. So when I went out yesterday, the same thing happened. I was about to call Canon service, since the thing is still under warranty, but now the flash is functioning properly.

However, I just now tried one further experiment. The problem occured while using a Denb deflector/diffuser. I just put the Denb on the flash and voila, I was able to reproduce the problem.

Anyone heard of this?
--
Jim
http://www.pbase.com/jcassatt

Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow