Started Aug 1, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cathy1973
Contributing MemberPosts: 602Gear list
Like?
A Question to all you wedding photographers
Aug 1, 2008

Here's my situation. I'm going to a wedding next weekend as a guest. But my invite was sort of conditional. The wedding photographer is a relative of the bride and the groom is afraid that he won't capture certain moments properly since he was a little disappointed in the engagement photo shoot. So he asked me to attend basically as an experienced snap shooter - but I can tell he wants a bit "more" than the average guest snapshot. I'm not a professional - and photography is just a hobby for me. He saw the pictures I took of my neice's wedding a couple weeks ago so he knows what I normally do.

I'm going with them today to see the wedding coordinator at the country club to get some ideas of shots the groom really doesn't want to miss... Bascially he'll be the creative drive, and I'm just going to try get the shots he really wants...

Let me explain what has the groom worried about his photographer: During the engagement photos, none of the pictures of them kissing made it in the final proofs the couple saw. The groom is afraid that the photographer didn't like seeing them kiss - whether it's because he doesn't approve or what - I'm not sure! I pointed out that maybe the poses looked too awkward or there could be another reason but the groom really wants another set of eyes at the wedding...)

I really don't want to anger the real photographer and I want to stay out of their way so they can do their job. I appreciate all the hard work and creativity that you professionals do! How would you recommend I handle the situation? Try to be invisible and do what I can? Or do I act like a third shooter? I look forward to the chance to take pictures since I do love it! I'd love to tag along with the professionals to see what I can learn. The groom doesn't care if I'm all over the place, firing my flash 60 times a minute as long as the moment is captured. I reminded him that's pretty darn distracting to everyone involved but he doesn't seem to care... lol.. I don't want to take anyone's attention away from the couple and I don't want to get in anyone's way. (Maybe I'm too timid to ever be a good event type photographer.. lol)

I will talk to the photographers at the rehearsal next week but I wanted to get your take on the situation.

Cathy1973's gear list:Cathy1973's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow