Started Jul 25, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
waplespunk
Contributing MemberPosts: 605
Like?
Using a generator to power strobes?
Jul 25, 2008

I was talking to a camel member about using a generator to power his strobes when he's doing outdoor shots. He rents an expensive Honda generator that costs over $1000. I was considering getting a Vagabond II portable power for my Bees, but then I thought that maybe a generator would be a good idea since I'd be able to use it during power outages. Problem is, I don't want to spend near that much money for it.

I've seen several that were in the $200-$500 range, but I wasn't sure really what to look for so I wanted to ask if any of you use a generator to power your strobes while on location, and what kinds would be good to look at. My two biggest concerns would be portability (wheels are a must if it's big) and noise. If I take a family to a park for a shoot, I can't have a loud generator that sounds like a lawn mower engine.

If there's nothing that's actually going to fit the bill, I'll end up getting the Vagabond II.

Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow