Chapters bookstore outside Toronto does not like photogs.

Started Jul 24, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mwillems
Contributing MemberPosts: 952
Like?
Chapters bookstore outside Toronto does not like photogs.
Jul 24, 2008

I visited the Queensway/Sherway gardens Chapters bookstore today, just outside Toronto, Ontario. I met a customer at the in-store Starbucks to have a coffee and talk about photography.

When we left, at approximately 7:30pm, I was approached at the door by a lady who demanded to "see the pictures on my camera" before allowing me to leave. She did not identify herself except by saying "I work here".

As a professional photographer, I know my rights and my duties under Ontario and Canadian law. Whilst they can tell me not to take photos in the store (which of course is not what I was there for), and they can tell me to leave the store, they as far as I know do NOT have the right to inspect my pictures.

My 1D3 and photo gear bags made me look like a pro, but that does not excuse this. They put me in a position where I had no practical choice but to show her the pictures on my camera (which of course did not contain anything wrong - as said I was not there to take pictures) and thus humiliated, to go on my way.

I will not be going back!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow