Started Jul 23, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David Truland
Regular MemberPosts: 228
Like?
Decided (tentatively) on a 1000D
Jul 23, 2008

I'm a 52 year old advanced amateur. I have attended some weekend photo seminars (John Shaw) and even have had a couple of shots published ($100 each).

My most productive period was making nature close-ups with a couple of Minolta X700 bodies and mostly Minolta fixed focus lenses. Extension tubes were a constant tool. Tripod, focusing rail, etc. I later had a Minolta 9xi and some fine lenses but wasn't as productive (or into it).

My big issue was the $10 a roll I was paying for pro transparency film (in the fridge) plus $6 processing for 36 images. I've since just been playing with an S1IS and S3IS (with the hack) but it's just not the same.

My goal is to recreate the feel and techniques I had with the X700s. And no, I can't afford a real DSLR at this point.

I'm looking at the 450 (XSi), 1000D (Xs) and the Sony a200. Being a Minolta person, I had a twinge over the a200, but a Sony is not a Minolta.

The just posted 1000D review pretty much made up my mind between the other two. My ONLY hangup was the 12 bit versus 14 bit RAW conversion. The RAW images in the review pretty much took care of that issue, I think.

Anyone who might understand where I'm coming from and disagrees, please let me know.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow