ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vvk
vvk
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
A200 -- how do I eliminate pre-flash?
Jul 22, 2008

I have a SONY A200 DSLR. I have been Minolta user for decades and have shot both MD and A mount. One thing that really disappoints me about DSLRs is flash performance. I suppose I can live without ratio flash capability until I purchase one of the new SONY flashguns. But the need for a pre-flash and the complete lack of support for auto flash (via an ISO shoe) makes it impossible to take reliable flash pictures of people. Most of my subjects blink during exposure because of the pre-flash. I cannot take flash pictures using this camera without careful review of results and multiple retakes due to closed eyes.

If I used on of the other brands of DSLR cameras that support ISO flash, I would mount a simple ISO auto flash on it and take pictures that way. I have NEVER had any exposure errors using my trusty old Minolta 132x. With the A200 I constantly get flash exposure errors due to surface reflections, dark backgrounds, etc.

I know that some other cameras allow you to avoid pre-flash by pressing AEL button before taking the picture. When you do this, the flash will fire and the camera will lock flash exposure so that when you press shutter release there is no pre-flash. I tried this on my A200 and the camera does NOT fire its flash when I press AEL button. It does lock exposure without flash, which is really stupid because it has no affect on actual exposure settings during the subsequent flash shot. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow