image issues with Canon 450D

Started Apr 23, 2008 | Discussions thread
dark goob
Contributing MemberPosts: 944
Like?
My customer also has this problem.
In reply to Christakis, Jul 13, 2008

For what it's worth, I just had a customer bring in a 450D to my store with this exact same problem.

The RAW files shot in Program Mode look fine, perfectly normal once they are opened in Bridge/Photoshop CS3. But the JPEG the camera generates definitely has this pink color cast across the image. Everything else about the camera functions normally.

I have tried resetting to factory defaults, and checked the camera for any external signs of damage or dirt/grease on the mirror or internal components -- but nothing is out of place. It's basically brand new.

The color cast appears in ALL JPEGs shot in Full Auto, no matter the lighting condition. Direct sunlight, cloudy, flash, fluorescent, incandescent lighting does not seem to make a difference. It has to be something defective in the camera... and there are no firmware updates available (to my knowledge 1.0.4 is the latest version).

It was doing this from the very first picture that was taken with the camera, right out of the box. This is the most alarming thing, since you would think Canon would test these things before sending them to the consumer channel. But I suppose there is a certain small percentage of any product, especially the first wave of a new model, that will have some issues.

It is very odd though. If anyone has a tip that clears this problem up please let me know, I don't have time to read through the 50+ messages in this thread already. (Is there a way to get the DPReview forums to show you all the messages on one screen that you can scroll through, like most forums do?)

Note: In Program mode, the RAW files shot on auto white balance look fine, and also, I was fully able to successfully set custom white balance by taking a picture of a gray card and setting it as the calibration target.

Thanks

-=DG=-

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow