Started Jul 12, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DavidGerard
Regular MemberPosts: 301
Like?
F20's first serious pub workout
Jul 12, 2008

I finally took my F20 out to a dimly-lit pub to take pictures of drunk friends, that being the purpose I originally bought it for.

The verdict: HUGE SUCCESS!

http://reddragdiva.co.uk/thumbnails.php?album=74

The pub is the basement bar of Dirty Dick's, Bishopsgate, London EC4 (just near Liverpool St Station). Lighting is incandescent bulbs scattered around. I basically ran entirely on ISO 2000 all night. The photos aren't great, but they're AMAZING considering the lighting.

By the way, here's the noise reduction working overtime. Photo taken at ISO 2000 and 0.25 sec exposure, with the 100% crop of the original camera JPEG.:

(My friends Flavio and Katie. Flavio is wearing the Canon EOS450D that ambushed him in Jessop's a few months ago; Katie got one for her birthday!)

As "film grain" goes, I find the Fujifilm "pointillist watercolour" particularly annoying; 2-3 px radius Gaussian blur usually clears it up suitably.

Summary: the F20 is a one-trick pony ... but it's one heck of a trick. I got mine for £70 in PC World's chuckout section, eBay has 'em for £70-100. Much cheaper than a second-hand F30/F31fd if this one trick is the trick you're after.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow