Started Jul 10, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sebboh
Contributing MemberPosts: 559
Like?
got my e520
Jul 10, 2008

new to the forum and just got the e520 from j&r price matched to $560. it's my first dslr and i was going to get the e510 and wanted to thank this forum for alerting me to the deals on the 520. i had an old minolta xe-5 that my dad handed down to me 10 + years ago, but haven't used it much in the last 5 years thanks to the ease and quality of digital p&s cameras. i've been fooling around with a nikon Dx1 and nikkor 80-400mm VR lens from work, which got me interested in slr shooting again.

anyway here are a few test shots i took yesterday with the new 520. the noise filter is turned off, picture setting is "natural" and contrast etc are all at default settings. pictures taken as raw and converted using ACR 4.5 beta than processed (or not) in photoshop.

this one's a little fuzzy due to the wind (should have upped the iso from 100 and shot at a higher shutter speed):

on this one i was very impressed with the detail of the kit lens (even at 100% crop) though maybe i should have closed the aperture to get a wider DOF:

testing with the built in flash automatic flash mode:

a night picture from my deck at f 22, iso 100, and a 60 sec shutter time:

there are a few more photos on my flickr site and i will probably put up more if anyone wants to see:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28476552@N04/

any critism or tips on these shots would be appreciated as i'm just learning how to use the camera.

also, i've never really done any post processing before and was curious if anyone has any preferences for photoshop versus aperature or vice versa and why.

thanks

hobbes

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow