ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MatW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468Gear list
Like?
Grd2 image quality thoughts + pictures
Jul 10, 2008

Hey guys,

I've just returned from a two week bicycle trip to the sea and today basically spent the whole day processing the raw images from my grd2 (the only camera I took with me). While doing so I once again got the feeling that the image sensor used in the grd2 really isn't that great at all. It takes a lot of work to get pleasing images from it, especially for color images.

For example in Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw, if you use the auto white balance setting the image will most likely look way too warm with a color cast. Even on simple daylight shots - I've never observed anything like this with my other digital cameras. To me this indicates some fundamental problem with the color reproduction of the sensor. Then again, I didn't buy the grd2 for color images, so to me it's not that much of a problem. But for anyone shooting mostely color I couldn't recommend the camera at all. It's not that the images simply aren't as saturated or color accurate as those from other cameras, no, they seem to have a rather strange kind of color cast and and mute colors to the point where it's no longer possible to salvage them in post processing due to noise issues. They just don't look right, regardless of how they were processed or under what conditions the pictures were shot.

For b/w images the sensor is ok though and the relatively high noise level doesn't bother much either. Shooting raw is of course mandatory to get artefact free images with as much dynamic range and post processing latitude as possible.

Well, those are my experiences with the grd2. I like its size, build and especially the controls, but as stated: The image sensor seems rather dubious to me. What do you think? Are you happy with the pictures you get from your grd2?

A couple of pictures from the trip:

MatW's gear list:MatW's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow