Started Jul 9, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jCandlish
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
e-520 + Sigma 30/1.4 + focusing.
Jul 9, 2008

My new e-520 arrived today, and the first thing I've done once configuring the camera is to try some pictures with the Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens.

The 520 does not seem to focus as well as my old e-300. Indeed it seems to seek more, acquire more slowly, and lock too close! The 520 is locking focus always too near, with the intended subject out of focus just beyond the depth of field.

Another issue with the Sigma 4/3 lens is that it does not report its focal length to the IS system, even though that information is embedded in the EXIF. I thought IS worked with all 4/3 standard lenses. A final Sigma specific puzzle is that the camera reports the lens firmware version to be 1.2. I can find no information about what the correct firmware version should be, or how to update the firmware. Olympus Master?

The focusing too near issue is not as severe with the Zukio 14-54, and that lens seeks less even though it gathers less light. My testing is useing the middle cross-type sensor only.

I'll post some images of this here shortly, but in the meantime I would appreciate the feedback of those whose experience may indicate that I have camera with poorly calibrated autofocus system.

Its too bad the settings thumbwheel on my e-300 is going haywire. It focuses good!

Cheers
jCandlish

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow