R1 - climbing Germany's highest mountain (Zugspitze)

Started Jul 7, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andras Fabian
Contributing MemberPosts: 706
Like?
R1 - climbing Germany's highest mountain (Zugspitze)
Jul 7, 2008

Hi STFers,

It's me again - which is not that surprising as it is summer time, which means more outdoor activity, which again means more mountains. This time I would like to show you some impressions from my hiking / climbing tour to Germany's highest mountain, the Zugspitze (2962m).

This "challenge" is a very fascinating kind of tour, as it leads you - within only 2-3 days - trough deep gorges, glaciers, rock climbing (well, "only" the secure "fixed rope" style - also called "via ferrata"), high peaks, nice waterfalls, snow in the mid of the summer ... you name it. Of course, you need to be absolutely free of giddiness and need a good stamina (you are climbing in a short time from 700m to 2962m) and some climbing/ice equipment is also highly recommended ... but it is worth every drop of sweat (which you will loose in the liters on sunny days ;-).

Of course, as always, the R1 has accompanied me on this excursion too - although it's "bulkiness" was sometimes a tiny "problem" in climbing passages - and again proved to be THE landscape camera. It delivered great shots even on the glacier, where sometimes I just couldn't frame accurately (the snow has blinded me - and the viewfinder was not bright enough to compensate for my "blindness"). It also captured the waterfalls / streams very nicely, and also could capture the wide contrast of the mountain sunsets.

Well, many words, but essentially it's all about pictures. So, let me invite you to the "larger" set of 65 pictures over at Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/weathermaker/sets/72157606012907010/

As always, I have some "appetizers" here for you too. Let me know what you like, what you dislike, what you would recommend or would like to know.

And now, enjoy:

Höllentorköpfl at Sunset 2

Höllentalanger 1

Höllentalanger 3

Alpspitze from the back

Hölltalferner 2

Hölltalferner 3

Klettersteig 2

Platt 4

Partnacklamm 3

Zugspitze over Garmisch

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow