ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,766
Like?
R8 dies on low battery
Jul 5, 2008

It has happened to me twice now.

R8 is showing "low battery" then suddenly on taking a picture it "dies" - locked up with lens extended.

Fresh battery does not immediately fix the problem but if the "on" switch is held down it "wakes up" and switches itself off. Then it behaves normally.

Obviously the camera does not decide to shut down on low battery until there is not enough battery charge left to shut it down. There were no warning messages and my only indication was noticing that the battery indicator was starting to show "low charge".

Might be my individual camera or it might have been the characteristics of the battery I was using.

I have had my R4 lock up twice like this but only over a quite extended period and this may also relate to other tales of lens lock up failure. What we might be seeing is merely shut-down failure. This is compounded by the further reluctance to cure itself with a fresh battery causing some hearts to flutter. On the R4 I cured the situation by very gently waggling the lens sideways whilst simultaneously pressing the on button. The lens waggle was not necessary on the R8.

Shows a great need to have at least one spare charged battery on hand.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow